Research in computing can be exciting, rewarding, and full of surprises. Where are you at in your journey into computing research? See below for common questions that arise when considering opportunities in research. Or, see examples of research highlights of undergraduate student research experiences.
Don’t see your question below? You can write the CRA-E Co-Chairs with your question and they’ll pass it on to the committee overseeing the site this year. We’re here to help!
Exploring computing research
Curious what research is, or how to engage it?
- What is computing research?
- What are examples of undergrad research?
- What is success in computing research?
- What research area should I choose?
- How can I get involved in research?
- Should I do research instead of an industry internship?
- Isn’t everything invented in industry?
Considering PhD programs
- What is a PhD in computing?
- What’s the difference between an MS and PhD?
- Why not just get a job?
- How do I get financial support to do a PhD?
- How long does a PhD take?
- What do people with computing PhDs do afterwards?
- Should I apply if I’m not sure I want to attend?
- Can I apply to graduate school later in my career?
- Can I get transfer credit towards graduate degrees?
Considering MS Programs
- What kinds of MS programs exist?
- How long does an MS degree take?
- Will I get financial support to do a MS degree?
- Do I need an MS to advance my engineering career?
- Can I do research in a professional MS program?
- Can I apply for teaching positions with an MS degree?
- Is it hard to switch from a MS to PhD program?
- What types of CS-related graduate programs exist outside of Computer Science departments?
- How do I get more information about a specific MS program?
- How is a Joint Bachelors/Masters degree different from pursuing a standalone MS after college?
- How competitive are MS admissions?
Applying to PhD programs
- How important is research experience?
- How important is a publication record?
- How important is the GRE?
- How important are my grades?
- Will volunteer work or other co-curricular activities help my application?
- How important is my undergrad institution’s ranking?
- Does getting an MS make you a more competitive PhD program applicant?
- Will getting a NSF fellowship help my chance of admission to a PhD program?
- When are the deadlines for graduate school applications?
- When will I hear whether I have been admitted?
- When should I start preparing my application materials?
- How many programs should I apply to?
- I’m a December graduate. Do graduate programs accept applications for a January start?
- How many recommendation letters do I need?
- How should I ask for letters of recommendation?
- Who should I ask to write for letters of recommendation?
- Should I write potential PhD advisors outside of the application process?
- How are PhD applications reviewed?
- Are there waiting lists?